Search for other episodes
Episode 081: Advanced Technology and Data Use Coming Soon to a Project Like Yours
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS
Today’s episode of the AEC Leadership Today podcast features Shawn Mahoney, President, CEO, and visionary-in-resident at OAC Services. Shawn has a long history of innovation dating back to his days as a hands-on building architect and continues to be a pioneer in the effective use of advanced technology and data in AEC.
Advanced Technology and Data Use Coming Soon to a Project Like Yours
We hear a lot about new technology and data use, and we are experiencing it more and more in daily life.
But what about in AEC? What about in the context of changes to how we may work differently day-to-day and deliver for our clients moving forward?
With so many of us in leadership still thinking that AutoCAD was a hard transition, what is the end game with Civil 3D and with the use of BIM? Are these just cool features and nice-to-haves, and will we, as designers, soon be forced to move beyond our personal spreadsheets, standard details, and notes on our drawings to “field locate”, “field verify”, or “field route”?
Well today, we’re going to get a very specific picture of how technology and data are already changing our industry and what the implications – and the benefits – are for us as designers, construction professionals, and owners.
Our guest today on the podcast is Shawn Mahoney, President, CEO, and visionary-in-resident at OAC Services. Shawn has a long history of innovation going back to his days as a hands-on building architect collaborating with – and thinking about – the entire team during construction.
In this episode, we dig into “digital twins” for both new and old buildings and sites, as well as some of the current and pending uses of autonomous construction, 3D printing, AI (artificial intelligence), and robotics. We also dig into the pushback, legal hurdles, and fears being worked through.
The trends toward digital design, pre-fabrication, and modular construction are real and so is the increasing demand by owners across the country and throughout the industry for greater value and greater cost, schedule, and quality assurance – which has already been made possible with advanced technology and data.
“If we can build the project in the model first digitally, we can then build it in the field with higher quality, speed, and cost certainty.”
— Shawn Mahoney
In this episode, we discuss:
- Shawn’s background as a building design architect and his early days of onsite innovation. How and why he transitioned into ‘design and construction performance management’ as an owner’s representative and how he sees and helps to advance technology trends to this day.
- The value of collaboration and why design and construction is truly a ‘team sport’.
- The emerging practice and benefits of creating ‘digital twins’ for both new design and renovations, as well as sites.
- The current and pending uses of autonomous construction, 3D printing, AI (artificial intelligence), and robotics.
- The trends toward digital design, pre-fabrication, and modular construction, and why construction sites may soon turn in assembly sites and vertical assembly lines.
- OAC’s first in-house ‘datathon’ designed specifically to advance one of the firm’s strategic goals to create value through data.
- The legal implications and ongoing discussions associated with digital design and data accuracy and ownership.
- Increasing and new demands from owners for greater cost, schedule, and quality assurance.
- Opportunities to attract new talent to industry, especially younger professionals (i.e., native digitals) attracted to and proficient with using advanced technology and data.
- How select technology tools and systems and why having in-house expertise or expert external partners is critical to figuring out your next best steps.
“Design and construction is truly a team sport… and any owner needs a strong coach to help lead the team.”
— Shawn Mahoney
I am thankful for the time taken and the insights Shawn shared with us on the podcast. I hope you found our discussion as informative as I did, and that you’re inspired to learn more about how advanced technology and data can help you improve operations and better serve clients.
About Shawn Mahoney
Shawn Mahoney, OAC Service’s CEO and visionary-in-resident. With over 30 years in the AEC industry as an architect, owner’s representative, business leader, Shawn understands every facet of design, construction and leadership, as seen through his portfolio of fortune 500 clients and OAC’s impressive growth since his tenure as CEO.
With profound respect and appetite for progressive technology and innovation, Shawn is leading OAC Services to become a collaborative innovation-led Design and Construction Performance Management firm.
And with 5 Best Places to Work awards, Mahoney has highlighted his main dedication as a leader – people and progress to make a better built environment, while providing fulfilling careers and a more efficient process overall.
When not working on the business, Shawn can be found on a golf course or with his wonderful family in Washington state.
Thanks for listening to the AEC Leadership Today Podcast!
I sincerely hope you enjoyed today’s episode. Be sure to connect with Shawn to learn more about how to best leverage advanced technology and data and to share and discuss your related experiences. If you like what you heard, leave a review on iTunes and share the podcast with your friends, colleagues, partners, and peers. Look forward to seeing you in the next episode!
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Shawn’s email
- Shawn on LinkedIn
- OAC Services website
- ENR piece on our datathon
- Podcast episode: Attracting, Engaging, and Retaining Gen Z Talent
Other Related Podcast Episodes
Are you interested in being a guest?
How to help out
Please leave a review on iTunes, Spotify and Stitcher. They really help, so thank you.
About the Host
Peter C. Atherton, P.E. is an AEC industry insider having spent more than 20 years as a successful professional civil engineer, principal, major owner, and member of the board of directors for high-achieving firms. Pete is now the President and Founder of ActionsProve, LLC, author of Reversing Burnout. How to Immediately Engage Top Talent and Grow! A Blueprint for Professionals and Business Owners, and the creator of the I.M.P.A.C.T. process. Pete works with AEC firms and leaders to grow and advance their success through modern and new era focused strategic planning and implementation, executive coaching, leadership and management development, performance-based employee engagement, and corporate impact design.